Welcome to my life.
My name is Lise. I'm living a sort of a double-life. By day I work as a curmudgeonly magazine creative director, and by night and weekend, I am slowly (SLOWLY) remodeling a 1950's cinderblock bungalow in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
I share the bungalow with my husband (Adam), my daughter (Delilah), 3 dogs, and a cat.
I started this blog to help motivate me to finish all the projects I have started, am planning, and am dreaming about. I thought maybe someone else would be interested in seeing me flail about.
I'm a designer, not an architect, or a contractor. This is about working with what you can get, and not about the exact right way to do things. Oh and did I mention that we have NO money? Watch as I drive my husband insane begging, borrowing, and stealing (not really) to make our little house over one excruciating project at a time.
To be clear, this is NOT a lifestyle blog. Here's a list of things you aren't going to find on Constructress:
- A flawless home, or the appearance of one
- Apologies for said unkept home/hair/clothing/child/husband/face
- Obviously staged and/or misleading photos.
- Products that cost more than tuition to a bilingual Montessori preschool
- The technically correct, best way to do anything
- Silly stupid wall "art" that says something vaguely inspirational, sentimental, or cutesy like "Live, Laugh, Love"
- Anything minimalist
- False humilty
However, here are some things you can expect:
- More curse words than you can shake a fucking stick at
- Epic fails
- Taking the easy way out
- Funny stories about my dogs
- Thrift store finds
- The occasional photo of my husband half-naked
- Me sometimes really nailing it
- Abandoned projects
- Craigslist trolling
- Dumpster diving
- Cameos from people who have actual skills and talent
- Probably a dog turd at some point
- Left-wing libtard propaganda from a stupid entitled snowflake
- A truly fool-hearty amount of self-confidence